Monday, July 19, 2010

Things that make me swear......worse.

How I was welcomed into Fl. and our new house.
Paul took me to see the house as soon as we got here. It was late..on the outside of the house. Were gecko's and lizards running all over the house. And frogs on the windows.
It made me a bit on edge. Now, admittedly I am not all that scared around reptiles or frogs or snakes. However the thought of them running around ON my house makes me a bit nervous as you never know when one is going to run in your house ( which has happened.) or Fall on your head or down your shirt. ( which I'm glad to say has NOT happened.)

We have and in ground pool in the back that I absolutely love. I love water. I love swimming. It is my new happy place to be..
HOWEVER I hate cleaning out the filter on a daily basis.. I am guaranteed to find at least 2-3 tiny little frogs. ( I mean the size of a quarter) and sometimes my pool filters are the hot spot for the frogs that want a lil water romance.. Nothing like trying to get two mating frogs out of your filter. They have no shame.
I also get a first hand look at all the bugs that fell in and couldn't get out. When we dump the filter out in the grass we realize why we never see any remains the next day... We consider this our sacrifice to the fire ants out here. I'm hoping they will leave us alone if we continue to give them free buffet. ( ick... ick.. double ick.)


Which brings me to the Spiders out here.
i have only seen one large spider in my house.. that was huge ( body bigger then a quarter.. add some legs on it.. well you get the idea) This one even freak'd out Paul.
But outside I see them curled up in my filters often.. It makes me shiver..
But here is my new problem.. They like to swim too..
The 1st assault was when the kids were in the pool with their goggles. Ethan freak'd out and started screaming spider ( we get ant size ones that fall in often....I mean we are OUT SIDE you have to expect to deal with them a little bit right?) I thought that he was bugg'd out about the little ones... Till I saw it.
Eragog's great grandchild! Floating on top of the water legs extended straight out. IT scared me.. and I wasn't in the pool. If the thing was in my hand ( another shiver added here.) It would have been bigger then my palm!
So I decided to drowned him with the pool cleaning Pole with the net thingy attached. I thought if I just drown him and scoop him out right? Dude this thing FOUGHT BACK... I swear he was trying to take the pole away from me ! Freak'd me out. I eventually won the battle. But I walked away with shak'n nerves.
2nd... Again the kids were in and I was out. We had some friends over and Ethan had come in sulking telling me he didn't want to swim because there was a spider in the pool. He didn't seem too upset by it so I was thinking it was just a tiny one... Till I hear Zoey screaming.. She was in her tube floaty and couldn't get away from it.. Everybody surrounding her High tailed it out of there. ( ya know.. everyman for himself type deal.) Except one brave young knight who came to rescue. ( Way to go Tip!) His brilliant idea was to trap the beastie ( It was a biggy too.) in another inner tube , then Pushed Zoey towards the stairs. This is where I come and grab the almighty pole.. The problem was I had too many pool toys in the pool and it kept hiding underneath them... when I grabbed one of the floaties. I realized the beastie had attached himself to it..I pulled it out and slammed it on the ground. It hung on.... then I whapped it with the pole.. it went flying in mid air to the grass... I half expected it to charge me...so I got the big guns out. ( The almighty shovel.) And went on Spider patrol... I watched that grass till I saw it move and went crazy smashing it with the big metal shovel. ( You may think it's a bit extreme. But I think he could have taken me if I just used my shoe.)
I think we were all watching the water a bit closer by then.

Now I always clean and skim the pool before I and the kids get in. It was sparkling perfect and I jumped in to play with the kids. All was fine and dandy.. I turned into a shark and was going underneath to grab the kids legs. I came up after an attempt to catch Jameson and did the whole female thing when you use both hands to get the water off your face and follow the motion thru our hair. My fingers came across something foreign and I pulled it out ( yup I GRABBED IT) I glanced at it while I was casting it off my fingers ( I assumed it was bit of grass or something.) And saw it was a big brown bug..which made me flick it harder... After it hit the water it threw it's legs out I realized I had a big brown spider IN.MY.HAIR!!!!!!.. ( everybody squirm with me here..)
I need therapy. Where did he come from and how the hell he landed in my hair I don't know.. But my kids learned a new phrase that day.. .Can you Say HOLYSH*%! I bet they sure can.
Eragog's great grandchildren are out to get me... I just know it. I'm not even safe in the freak'n water!

The scary part is, I am told by a local here. Is that the bigger ones come out Closer to Fall..Something called the banana spider?!
The bugs here will take you away!!!
I have two choices.. Exterminator on call everyday ...... or pack up and leave Satan's playground of insects... I'm leaning towards the latter. The exterminator will probably end up missing in action anyway...
And Paul wanders why I refuse to go outside by myself....are ya kidding me??! I hate. Hate. hate the bugs here!!

8 comments:

Tami said...

I am squirming and shivering! I will never live in Florida! Please keep blogging so I know you're still alive. Good luck.

The Byington's said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! That is totally disgusting! I have seen those swimming spiders though, at Lake Powell! It really is creepy, you see it, assume it's dead, and then is swims towards you! YUCK!! Good luck, and you probably shouldn't watch the movie arachnaphobia! Hahaha!

Katie said...

BANANA SPIDER!!!! ewwwww! well I have not seen a banana spider here. Wolf yes a lot. I heard that the big ones are coming too. Well, we will just be inside buddies then I guess. I can just see you with the shovel! Tip said he just had to save Zoey. He couldn't leave her there all alone. (WHat shivelry right?)

Livia said...

I am so glad to see that you blog again!

You need Jeremy there. He is the best exterminator. You know he owns his own business Radius pest control here in Kansas and does a great job. Too bad you are so far away:(

Melissa Hernandez said...

oh my gosh, I can't look at the picture of the banana spider, i am with you, pack up and leave. There is one things I don't do and it's definately bugs!!!! UGGGHHH...good luck. Take lots of pictures of these fun adventures!!!

Irish Cream said...

Ew, ew, ew, ew, and EW!

I'm still laughing and shivering, and I can totally imagine you smashing a spider with a shovel. You GO GIRL!

Wish we were there to share in the adventure! Or, rather, that you were still here enjoying our PERFECT summer...

Glad you're getting adjusted to your new place. Hopefully you and the bugs will come to a mutual agreement. And, keep those fireants at bay! (We paid to have somebody spray to keep them out of our yard, and they would colonize on the other side of the fence, those nasty E-V-I-L insects.)

Anonymous said...

They actually aren't that bad I had one live outside m villa and it didn't attack me or anyone else I ended feeding and growing kind of attached to it I was pretty upset when I had to leave my new 8 legged friend

Anonymous said...

my*