Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Once bitten.....Twice shy

What a bad, bad day yesterday was.

The unbelievable still can't believe it happened....happened.

Vedah my ever favorite sweet patient docile lab mutt dog- BIT my BABY's Face. And yes she broke skin. ( if your eyes just bugged out by this sentence your not alone, my eyes are still bugging out by it too.)

The terrible, no good, very rotten day started at midnight with a puking and explosive bum of my little Zoey.... and seeing has how the room was borderline toxic I decided to set up the play pen for Cambria to take a nap in that morning to keep her from breathing the toxic fumes of earlier events..
But first I take the gate down to our side room ( florida room) so Vedah can come hang out with us like always.. Cambria is toddling all over the house Vedah is lounging around as well. Same as always.. and I leave those two to it while I set up camp in my room for Cambria.

I'm bringing some stuff to the kitchen when I hear this growl attack like bark.. That sent me running ( I was literally 10 steps away from that room) to the Florida room to find Cambria flat on her back by the dogs bowl and Vedah tail tucked betweeen her legs.. I immediatly checked her hands assuming she had tried to grab her food while she was eating only to look at her face and find her bloody and scratched up. She had been clearly bitten by the dog.

Of course I beat the dogs butt all the way out the door( Momma bear style). And turned back to Cambria''s wounds in complete panic. She looked terrible. but thankfully they were not deep, more surface scratched just enough to bring the blood to the surface, but no gushing or large puncture wounds. She had grazed with her teeth just below her left eye and Barely missed her eye all together.. She has distinct claw marks on the side of her left temple. She looked terrible.. and I was in a panic..
Did this really just happen to my baby??
I called Paul in a panic begged him to come check out Cambria and handle the dog.
We cleaned out her owies.. made sure they were treated and once she was settled and taking a nap ( getting bit by a dog is traumatic and she handled it the way most babies do... she cried then went to sleep.)
So now it was time to deal with the dog. I told Paul in my panic that the dog must go instantly.
And with heavy and sad heart we agreed it was still the right thing to do. So we called the animal shelter explained the situation and they agreed to take her. I felt bad. I really didn't want to get rid of her. But I cannot run the risk of that ever happening again. I was so shocked that she was even capable of doing that in the first place.. She has never shown an ounce of aggression towards my kids. She has always been quite patient with little ones. ( even when they are playing with her food bowl which I know is a big no, no.) So if she is capable of it now... I can't assume that it was a fluke thing and it would never happen again.. I can't let my baby go thru that again.. I feel like this time we were really lucky the wounds weren't bad. But I can't risk it happening again. This was something I wasn't willing to give a second chance on. Even if she was just protecting her food.
Which means my favorite dog.. had to go.
I cried. I already miss her.. I'm still shocked it happened.
I cried when I look at my poor baby face... how could I ever let this happen?
But I am thankful that my baby is okay. I am sorry it happened under my care. Hopefully Vedah will find a home that will give her the love she deserves. ( I'm pretty sure I will not be the reciever of both pet owner award or Mother of the year award by this event alone.)

Paul and I have decided not to get another pet until Cambria is older and can understand animal rules better. I have no trust in dogs right now, if Vedah can do such a scary thing any dog can. And it's not something I find worth the risk at this point.
The whole thing just broke my heart. I'm still in shock.
But, Cambria is up and running and smiling away. So hopefully she won't remember or be scarred by this incident. I'm grateful for that.

4 comments:

Tami said...

Oh my heck! That is awful. I'm so glad it was wasn't any closer to her eye. Poor little thing. Her face looks so sore.

Sorry about the dog, too. But, kids come first. You're a good mom for making that sacrifice instead of leaving it to chance. How did the big kids handle it?

Amy Johnson said...

So sad! I'm so sorry! You absolutly did the right thing! It looks like Cambria has bounced back and looks lovely as ever in those pics (but it does look a little painful!) :) How did Katie handle losing the dog....again (wasn't it her dog?).
Love ya tons...hope your day goes better.

Katie said...

Of any dog in the world I would never expect Vadah baby to do such a thing. However, I would have done the same thing. I love My Vader (Vadah) but that is just crossing the line.

Little ones come first. And at least Cambria is okay. We will all miss Vadah but Santa Rosa county has a no kill policy and just looking at Vadah anyone would want her. She obviously just needs to be with a "big kid" family. NO babies.

I will miss her too.
Love ya

Irish Cream said...

Ooo, I'm so sorry! How awful to lose a loved pet, but definitely the right move, as sad as it is. I'm really glad Cambria is ok. So scary!!!

BTW, send me your email address- my email profiles were obliterated, and I can't contact you directly anymore!