Tuesday, March 6, 2012

things one should know before moving to MILTON Fl.

Milton Florida.. Is really lower Alabama. And is a very southern country style living with a heavy dose of military. I've never lived in military ville. Our ward consists of lots and lots and lots of military who quickly come and quickly go. I have learned a greater respect for military. military family and certainly the wives of said military. See military is the servicemen FIRST wife. which means there actual wives comes second. It is tough brutal and never allows for an ounce of planning or all that many choices to choose from. husbands are gone more then their home. Every move is decided by the first wife then MAYBE they'll give a little FYI a week before the move to the second wife. I have a large amount of respect that these military sisters can be so versatile ( more by force then choice) with our service men. Also, I've learned that you aren't allowed to waste anytime getting to know a new military family since you have no idea how long they'll stay. I have also learned that military family's are quick to take in the new family and just as quickly makes them part of the family and support each other immediately. since it really is all they have. That is there new family for the next 6-12 mo. It has set a very good example to me to be more open and to make sure people are included in all forms. And i have met some wonderful people. that even tho the time was short was worth taking the time to get to know. and I actually miss them when they leave. I think we should all be like that. military or not.

I don't really have a southern bone in my body. like at all. and i can't really describe what being southern is. But I should be more specific.. as that I don't have a country southern bone in my body. ok, I'll just say it.. I feel like I live in hill billy hell. ( even tho this is mild compare to neighboring city's) crime rate is low where I live. locking doors is optional. which is a nice refreshing change for South bend. I guess.

Milton needs to embrace the clean air act. As well as recycling.. and NO dumping unless you are actually at a dump. Along with no littering. For being a small country town.. I sure is a mess. People litter, people dump. And its disgusting. Oh and there is like 20 garbage service company's.. so garbage cans are out all day everyday on the streets. Hate that. it's tacky looking and its impossible to get any cues as to when your garbage days.. not to mention the constant stream of garbage trucks we have running the the streets.

The school system here is actually really good. they take pride in the their school and enjoy being top ranked in the nation. GO SANTA ROSA county. and I'm glad our kids are apart of it.

WEATHER.... if you love heavy humidity this is the place for you. My straight hair.. goes frizzy here! MY skin doesn't need lotion so when the humidity is high my skin feels really gross.Winters are WESTERN states fall. And summers are Satan's playground.

The trees here are the ugliest trees I've ever seen. no variety whatsoever. The leaves don't change and rarely fall. they are small and shiny looking. and they are all over grown and take over like weeds. ( they really are a weed tree.)

Bugs and rodents and reptile population is far too high. but I have made my peace with them and am no longer live in paralyzing fear of any of them.

Pensacola beaches are the most beautiful beaches , Absolutely gorgeous! And worthy of a plane trip/vacation to visit them it's the only reason I don't high tail it out of this place.

I would come back to vacation on the beach every possible chance I get. but never to live.

Things have had no flow for me since we've moved here. ( except my beloved beach... ) Nothing has really gone all that well. So maybe that's why I don't like it here as much. Who knows. But I have made some great friends here. And super lucky to be so close to beaches. I don't miss snow or cold. But yet I ache to get closer to family.

2 comments:

Gregory said...

I once knew a guy from Milton. we called him Milton. You are in what I call the 'real' Florida that doesn't appear on postcards. we will have to catch up next time we are in Destin.

Tami said...

There will always be room in Utah for you. However, I am jealous of your Milton winters.